Monday, August 16, 2010

On Second Thought: "Cover Affairs" flops hard

Ok, first of all, I'm slow when I watch TV. I've finally watched the third episode of this series, after having thoroughly enjoying the premiere. But now, I've grown cold to USA's "Covert Affairs."

In fact, I'm in no rush to watch the fourth episode. The quick, witty banter and a script that actually made sense is long gone. Instead, we've been greeted with hormones, confusion, and stories that place Piper Perabo's Annie Walker into odd situations (and she uses her real name when dealing with a target. I mean, seriously? Don't CIA operatives know to use a cover name?!).

What probably sold me most on the writing going down hill is the end of the third episode. The Julia Suarez character is almost killed by her corrupt lover's henchman, but after seeing the lover get shot and killed, she can't get herself away from him. It's hard to believe that her immediate feeling after almost being killed, then seeing her lover be killed, is love and affection. Shouldn't she be torn? Shouldn't she feel like she wants to hate him, not love him? It just irked me the wrong way.

I probably will watch one more episode of Cover Affairs. If it keeps going downhill, then I'm going to be very upset.

Maybe I'll just watch the pilot over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment